The Most in Demand Accounting and Financial Skill Sets
Professionals with in-demand skills will have the best job prospects in any economy.
What accounting and finance skills do today’s employers want?
Whether you’re looking for a new job or want to climb the ladder with your current employer, here are the most sought-after skills for accounting and finance professionals:
As technology transforms the way industry accounting and finance work is performed, proficiency in MS Excel and QuickBooks is no longer sufficient for upwardly mobile professionals:
- Today’s employers seek candidates well versed in smart technologies like cloud-enabled ERP systems and business intelligence software.
- Similarly, demand for professionals with big data expertise (i.e., individuals who can identify data trends, perform data mining and operational analyses, and develop statistical models) will heighten in the future.
- Finally, as automation takes over more basic accounting and finance functions, skills we currently view as highly specialized and advanced – in areas like blockchain, artificial intelligence and machine learning – will become commonly required.
Jobs in accounting and finance are expanding and becoming increasingly integrated with other business functions. As a result, professionals with solid business skills like strategic thinking, decision-making, negotiation and process improvement will be the best suited to step into higher-level, specialized industry roles.
As our industry evolves, the following nontechnical skills are becoming increasingly important to career success within accounting and finance:
- Exceptional communication skills are in high demand, as accounting and finance roles require individuals to collaborate with other departments and engage with a wide range of stakeholders both within and outside an organization.
- Many of the clients we work with are also seeking “adaptable” candidates who can adjust the way they work to effectively manage a variety of situations and tasks.
- If you’re interested in advancing beyond an entry-level position, look for opportunities to develop your leadership skills. Speak up and share your ideas when appropriate. Ask to spearhead a project or team. Hone your active listening skills. Make time for self-reflection, so you better understand your strengths, weaknesses, motivations and goals.
Looking for a better accounting and finance job?
PrideStaff Financial recruiters will work with you to find an opportunity that provides the challenge, flexibility, advancement potential and compensation you want.